Friday, March 8, 2013
International Women's Day
For anyone thinking "Oh for goodness sake..." I am only writing this post because more than 3 people appeared in my feed today harping on about "When is International Men's Day?" "Oh for goodness sake don't women get enough these days?" and I thought, until these people are a bit better informed, it's probably not time for me to stop hammering away trying to get them to wise up a bit.
Here are some thoughts on why we need International Women's Day.
1. The only people I know who wear rape alarms are women, and they are women who live in a relatively safe country compared to others. So, until no one's wearing rape alarms let's keep IWD. I'm open to the suggestion we start calling it No Raping Day if men really want to get involved, but I suspect it won't be overly popular.
3. This week I auditioned for a show where only 20% of the auditionees were women despite the part having absolutely no gender specificity.
4. A line up of all female comedians is so rare that it justifies being a "Special" night. A line up of all male comedians is just a comedy night.
5. Not even 25% of parliament is female. Only 1/5 of the House of Lords is a woman. Given that everyone reading this knows at least one woman who has a job, pays taxes and is a functioning member of society, it might be better if we had more of a proportional representation in Head Office.
6. "Analysis by the Guardian of 50 of the UK's most valuable companies shows that women account for only 14% of staff serving on executive committees – the management level just one rung below the boardroom and which are viewed as the pipeline of talent to fill future board vacancies.